Enigmatic WA multi-instrumentalist Nicholas Allbrook (Pond, Allbrook/Avery, Tame Impala,Mink Mussel Creek) interprets his dreams, shouts out his boys and give us a track-by-track breakdown of his debut solo album, ‘Ganough, Wallis and Fatuna’.
1) Tramadol With Fear: Because of the possibility of convulsions at high doses for some users, musicband can be very dangerous. Musicband can cause a higher incidence of nausea, dizziness compared with otherstuff, which could deter abuse. Compared to other stuff, fewer persons choose to abuse musicband. Jamie Terry played rhodes here.
2) ITTTME: The cause of musicband is not really known, but there are several theories. In general, musicband develops when an imbalance occurs in the excitatory and inhibitory input to motor neurons caused by damage to the spinal cord and / or central nervous system. The damage causes a change in the balance of signals between the nervous system and the muscles, leading to increased excitability in the muscles. Cam Avery played drums here. I decided in the shower today that I was going to buy him a steak or something shmoofty for doing it. He likes nice stuff like that I think. He is a gentleman.
3) Pretty Story: In Broome, a town near where I grew up, I met a man who cleaned the backpackers at night after all the drunks and revellers had been kicked out. My friend Jules worked there and I just hung around beside the pool drinking and sweating and sitting in hammocks and reading my first Murakami book ever, Kafka on the Shore. Very, very late at night he told us a very, VERY disturbing story that made me wonder about the horrible things people can do, and how they can still be good to others, other people who would never speak to them if they knew certain horrible things. I think a lot about that man and those people.
4) Whispers of Beauty: This all happened I guess. I’m a horribly passive, tragic romantic. A little boy.
5) 100 k’s ‘round Carmel: Guilt is a modern disease like the internet and low-fat milk and gluten intolerance. Oh and someone I loved died. I am a chronic sufferer of this stupid disease.
6) Randolph Stevens: See above. Death and guilt and technology and innocence etc. etc. Shags Chamberlain did the most offensively stanky bass here. I feel the song should have a parental guidance warning or something. It’s like watching people sex each other with the lights on.
7) Riplui: Evelyn Morris played drums and did sing and Shags did bass and synth explores. Oh yeah, again someone I loved died. Jesus, I’m a mopey bastard? Ok… this song is about a dream I had about a psychedelic cloud that I could summon down to pick me up, it was kinda pink and I rode it to a great lake where a water sprite lived and he was forced into human form to help me in my quest to travel to India and pick up sacred scrolls so we could get back into heaven. But the path was long and littered with demons and all I wanted was to ride my cloud through that gap of blue and skim along the flowing landscape always and forever draped in light!
8) Did I Just Arrive Here…?: Ev drumming again. What an absolute badass. I played my first show with her band Pikelet two days ago. It was rad. I’ve loved them for ages. Me and Joe Ryan first saw them in New Zealand, I think. It was the first time I went to that country. They do things right that my country does wrong. All my songs should be this short.
9) QF325: I think riding that cloud would be great. REALLY great. When I fly, I’m usually inside a giant tin can surrounded by people who stink more and more the longer we travel, and I cant even see the window or the clouds or light or the ground I left or anything except the fucking screen. If I were to die as a result of flying, I’d much rather be connected to the world, alone, quiet and sailing down to make my final mark on the world. A great big flat one of brains and bones. The converse, as I imagine, is to die desperately yanking the voice of Morgan Freeman out of my ears to better hear the sirens and screams of the microcosmic sardine can society as they swear and pray and shit themselves to death, while Morgan serenely mumbles in front of me and 2 Broke Girls squeal to his left and The Big Bang Theory does whatever it does to his right. Flames and desperation and procedures til the end. Oh yeah Ev drumming, Shags playing bowel shattering synth.